Mini Carmelita "Pi"

Adapted from My Recession Kitchen.

DSC_0054

1 c. Whole wheat flour
1 c. Rolled oats
1/2 c. Brown sugar
1/4 tsp Baking soda

1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 c. Unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
3/4 c. Chocolate chips
3/4 c. Pecans, chopped small
1 c. Dulce de leche


Preheat the oven to 350°F.  Line your muffin pan with paper liners.

Stir together the flour, oats, brown sugar, salt and baking soda.

Add the butter pieces to the oat mixture.  Mix until the butter is well incorporated but the mixture should still be crumbly.

Reserve about 1/2 of the oat-butter mixture for the topping.

Transfer about 2 tbsp of this mixture to each prepare muffin cups and press the mixture evenly to fill the bottom.

Bake for 8 minutes and remove the muffin pan from the oven.

Add 1-2 tsp of dulce de leche to each baked crust.  Sprinkle with chocolate chips and pecan.

Top with the remaining oat-butter mixture

Bake for another 20 minutes.

[Makes about 18 carmelitas.]


DSC_0047



My comments:

It's Pi Day!!  So why am I not posting some sort of pie recipe?  Well, first of all, I don't make pies.  Never have and never will.

Oh wait, rewind!!!  I did make apple pie once with my friend, rolled our own crust and everything.  My crust was awful.  It broke everywhere and barely salvageable.  From that one and only experience I had with pie making, I decided that it's well-worth the money to pay the $5 for a grocery store pie or even $10 for a more decadent, higher quality pie.  I will never make my own pie again.

[I don't think I will pay more than $10 for a pie because I like to drown my pie with ice-cream anyway.  Anything more expensive than $10 will be wasted on me and my ice-cream.]

But my little carmelitas are round, shaped like pies, so I thought it was appropriate to share this recipe on Pi Day.  :)

There is a sad, pathetic story that goes with these carmelitas.  I made them on Sunday night.  I wasn't feeling quite myself because I didn't snack on the chocolate chips, I didn't lick the spoon with dulce de leche - in fact, I didn't even want to eat one of these little babies when they came out of the oven.  Odd, huh?  I wondered why?

The answer came shortly after I had gone to bed: Stomach bug.  Nasty nasty stomach bug.  Hubby and I took turns in the bathroom all night long.  Nasty nasty nasty.  We ended up staying home from work for 2 days.  It was pretty horrible.

I was able to keep food down by Tuesday and I was actually feeling hungry.  My stomach was still feeling a bit queasy and I knew I had to take it easy.  But oh my carmelitas! they were calling for me, "Eat me! Eat me!", they said.  How could I resist?!

So I took a bite.  Mmmm... Oh. So. Good!!  This little dessert is flavourful and has so many layers of textures.  The top was crumbly, the middle was chocolatey, caramely and chewy, and the bottom was crunchy.  These will be great to bring for a potluck dinner, something you can whip up in a pinch.  This is also a very customizable recipe.  I like my carmelitas to be all about the filling, so I went light on the crust and topping, and heavy on the chocolate/dulce de leche/pecan.  This recipe serves as a guideline as to how much of each filling ingredients you may need to get you started but go ahead and make this your carmelita, with your name on it!!  :P

Now, the REAL sad part of this story is, I have to throw away any carmelitas I cannot eat.  And no, I cannot possibly eat all 18 carmelitas all by myself.  I've had 6 and I'm getting tired of them.  But considering I made these right before I became deathly ill with the stomach bug, my conscience would not allow me to share these little guys with others and risk the chance of them getting my stomach bug.  Perhaps the high temperature of the oven would've killed everything and I am positive there was no fingerlicking during the food preparation.  But this is a nasty, resilient virus - I do not wish that upon anybody.  So in a few days, when I literally cannot stand the sight of them anymore, I will throw them out.  :(  BOO!!

Will I make them again?  Most definitely!!  The only change I'll make next time is to use homemade caramel sauce.  When I made this 1.5 years ago, I used the real stuff in the amount called for in the original recipe.  It was good, just not enough caramel.  I have faith that with free supply of homemade caramel sauce, this recipe will be absolutely divine.

DSC_0053

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Poppy Seed Cookies

Thai Curry Stir-Fried Rice

Very Berry Banana Smoothie