Oreo Cream Cheese Truffles

Adapted from Easy Decadent Truffles on Allrecipes and inspired by Oreo Truffles from The Girl Who Ate Everything.

chocolate cream cheese truffles

8 oz (1 pkg) Light cream cheese, room temperature
2 c. Icing sugar, sifted
3 c. Oreo crumbs
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
2 c. Dark chocolate chips
6 oz Baker's white chocolate (not chocolate chips!)

In a large bowl, whisk together the oreo crumbs and icing sugar.  If not sifted beforehand, make sure there is no sugar lumps.

Beat cream cheese until smooth.

Slowly add the oreo/sugar mixture until well blended.

Chill for 1 hour to firm up the cream cheese mixture.

Melt the chocolate (white or dark) in the microwave on high power, stirring every 30 seconds until most of the chocolate are melted.  Then, remove from the microwave and stir until all the chocolate is melted and no lumps are left.

Roll the chilled cream cheese mixture into 1" balls.  Working quickly, dip cream cheese balls into melted chocolate using 2 forks (or spoons).  Place on wax paper and wait for chocolate to harden.  (If the cheese balls become too soft to work with, place the balls in the freezer for 10 min before dipping.)

To decorate, sprinkle toasted coconut flakes, chocolate chips or sugar sprinkles on the truffles before the chocolate hardens.  I also topped some truffles with a chocolate covered coffee beans.  Drizzling melted chocolate on top is always a great option.


My comments:

To be honest, I wasn't going to post this recipe.  I made these truffles as part of my Christmas cookie exchange with my friends. My first impression was that they were way too sweet and I didn't care much for them.  However, a couple of people tried it and liked it; they didn't think it was too sweet.  So when I opened up my cookie exchange box a few nights ago and saw there was only one truffle left, I decided to give it another go.

O.M.G.!!  I can't believe I almost missed out on this amazing truffle.  The center was smoothy and soft; it was chocolatey with a bit of tang.  The dipped chocolate gave it a nice "crunch" when you bite into it.  This truffle was full of yummy goodness and it was Not Too Sweet!!

I think my problem with my first truffle was that I just spent a whole week baking cookies and I was suffering from sugar overload.  I was actually sick of the taste/sight/smell of sweets and sugar.  *gasp*  Imagine that!!! 

I did encounter a few little problems while making these truffles.  The cream cheese filling came together quickly and I put it in the fridge to chill for an hour. It made it easy to work with but you have to work quickly.  Once the cream cheese started warming up, it'll stick to the palm of your hands, at which point you can either chill the filling again until firm or just work with a sticky filling.  I just continued on with the sticky filling because I didn't have time nor the patience to wait.

Also, I have never dipped anything before, so it was interesting to find out that the consistency of white Baker's chocolate is different from the consistency of dark chocolate chips.  The chocolate chips were more liquidy, which made it easy to dip/roll the cream cheese ball in, while the melted white chocolate was a bit thicker and harder to work with.  They both tasted great but the size of my truffles varied a lot.

For the decorations, I looked around my kitchen for various things that would stand out on my truffles.  I loved the coconut flakes and the chocolate covered coffee beans.  But regardless of what you choose, the presentation of these truffles will be sophisticated and fantastic.

Will I make these again?  Definitely!!  I might try a few other variations before coming back to this one but I am sure this will not be the last time these little beauties find their way into my kitchen again.

chocolate cream cheese truffles

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Poppy Seed Cookies

Thai Curry Stir-Fried Rice

Very Berry Banana Smoothie