Vietnamese Spring Wrap


Teriyaki marinade
1 lb. Striploin steak, sliced thin and long
2 Carrots, medium size, julienned
1/2 English cucumber, julienned
Vermicelli noodles, cooked, drained
Rice paper wrap
Spicy peanut sauce


Marinade the steaks overnight with the teriyaki marinade.

Fry the steaks on a pan and set aside.


Soak the rice paper in warm water until it begins to soften (approximately 15 seconds).

Place the rice paper on a flat surface and place the meat, carrots, cucumbers and vermicelli noodle on the wrap.


Carefully fold up the two sides and then roll to wrap, as tightly as possible without tearing the rice paper.


Serve with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce (or Teriyaki Dipping Sauce).




My comments:

This Vietnamese rice wrap turned out pretty well. Both my hubby and I enjoyed it very much. I got this recipe from Mrbunsrocks* and I have made several modifications to suit our tastes. My Spicy Peanut Sauce (a slightly modified version of Mrbunsrocks's recipe) was super tastey...definitely a must try.

I made my own teriyaki sauce and the steak turned out pretty yummy. I had precooked the carrots on a frying pan with a small amount of water. I liked the cooked carrots because my wraps don't crunch when I bite into it and the pan frying retained the sweetness and taste of the carrots.

I had a little trouble with the rice paper. The instructions on the box would take too long to prepare the rice paper, so I followed Mrbunsrocks's method and it worked pretty well. I found that the rice paper is easier to work with if I don't oversoak it. Also, if I keep everything fairly wet, it doesn't stick to the surface or the hands as badly and therefore minimize the potential of tearing. However, I believe my wraps were a little too wet and so I had trouble keeping the wrap tight around the fillings. So my wraps were fairly loose which made dipping into sauces rather difficult.

Overall, this Vietnamese spring wrap was an interesting adventure. The taste was good and I think we will definitely do it again.

* I feel I must apologize to Mrbunsrocks because I believe I have butchered her low-sodim recipe with my salt-overdose teriyaki sauce. My hubby loved the sauce but I think next time, I will try another sauce, preferably something that doesn't use so much soya sauce (he doesn't like peanut butter sauce).

Comments

Blue said…
just the other day I saw someone use a bit of vegetable oil on their figure tip when they roll the warps. I haven't try it yet...

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Curry Stir-Fried Rice

Orange Poppy Seed Cookies

Vegetable Risotto