Teriyaki Marinade


1/2 c. Soya sauce (Kikkoman)
2 tsp Sesame oil
2 tbsp Honey
1 tbsp Brown sugar
2 tbsp Ginger, peeled, minced
1/2 c. Green onion, chopped
2 tsp Garlic, minced
2 tsp sesame seed, toasted
Juice from 1 large orange



Combine all the ingredients.

Refridgerate for overnight.


1 tbsp Cornstarch
1/2 c. Cold water


In a small sauce pan, slowly bring the sauce to a boil.

Mix the cornstarch and water.

As the teriyaki sauce begins to thicken, stir to mix the cornstarch quickly and slowly pour into the teriyaki sauce, stirring constantly. Only add enough cornstarch to achieve desired consistency in the teriyaki sauce.


My comments:

I wanted to make teriyaki steak and I thought it'd be nice to make our own teriyaki marinade. So I looked up a few teriyaki sauce recipe online and found this one from the Food Network. I made a few adjustments to the recipe since I did not have everything it required in my kitchen.

I marinaded the steaks overnight and it was really good!! I put the steak strips in my rice wrap and I made a dipping sauce with the rest of the marinade.

To be honest, this dipping sauce has lots of flavour but it was way too salty. To reduce the saltiness, I added an tablespoon of brown sugar (as instructed in this recipe) to the thickened sauce and it tasted pretty good. I think this modification will improve the flavour of the sauce as a marinade and will also make a better dipping sauce for the rice wrap. Next time, I think I'll reduce the amount of soya sauce and perhaps dilute it with a bit of water or orange juice. This sauce is definitely still in its experimental phase.

Tomorrow, I am going to use this to make teriyaki kebabs on the BBQ! Yum!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Curry Stir-Fried Rice

Orange Poppy Seed Cookies

Vegetable Risotto