Brown Butter Bacon and Chocolate Chip Cookies

Adapted from Mouth from the South.

DSC_0197

1.5 c. All-purpose flour
1/2 tsp Baking soda
1 c. Unsalted butter
1 c. Dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Vanilla
1 Egg
1 c. Dark chocolate chips
1 c. Bacon

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.

Cook the bacon on a frying pan until crispy.  Lay the bacon on paper towels to drain the excess fat and cool before cutting into 1/2" size pieces.

Combine flour, salt and baking soda and set aside.

Melt the butter in a sauce pan, swirling occasionally.  Bring the butter to a boil and whisk until the butter begins to brown.  The butter will foam up quite a bit at first, making it difficult to see the colour.  But before turning brown, the foaming will subdue a little bit and you will see the butter change colour.  Also, you will smell the delicious caramel-y aroma as the butter browns.  Continue to whisk until you see brown bits floating around.  Transfer the brown butter into another bowl and allow to cool.  (Do not leave the brown butter cooling in the hot sauce pan because the butter will continue to cook and you will end up with burnt butter.)

Once the butter cools to room temperature, mix in the brown sugar, salt and vanilla.  Add the egg until the mixture is smooth.  The mixture should have no sugar lumps and its texture should be thick, smooth and shiny.

Stir in the flour until just combined.  Fold in bacon chunks and chocolate chips.

Roll the dough into 1" dough balls, place on the prepared cookie sheet and flatten slightly with your palm.  Bake for about 8-10 min.  Allow the cookies to cool for 5-10 min before transferring to a cooling rack.

DSC_0192


My comments:

Brown Butter - Huh?

Bacon in a cookie - WTF?!

Wow...you must think I'm completely off my rocker.  It's ok, I know, because I felt the same way when I first saw dessert recipes popping up online using these ingredients.  But apparently, brown butter and bacon cookies are the bomb right now.  It's hip, it's trendy and it's Tasty!!!

I love chocolate and I love bacon but I was a bit apprehensive about a dessert with both of these favourites in it.  However, the balance between the sweet chocolate chips and the salty crispy bacon was perfect.  Everyone in my house loved it.  Some of our friends said it needed more bacon (only because you can never have enough bacon) while some liked the cookie and was very surprised to hear the secret ingredient was bacon!!

As for the brown butter, I was a bit disappointed in that.  It smelled so amazing when it was browning in the sauce pan, the rich sweet caramel smells...  *drool*  I was expecting a caramel flavoured cookie base, but it wasn't.  Don't get me wrong - this is a GREAT cookie!!  It could very well be the brown butter that made these cookies taste so good.  But I didn't get what I expected, hence the disappointment.  I'll have to make another batch of these cookies with regular butter and compared with the brown butter cookies (which I have saved a bit of the dough in the freezer).  :D

If you've never brown butter before, it's easy.  Just make sure that you watch the butter because the butter will turn from brown to burnt very quickly.  Also, it is important to transfer the brown butter to a new bowl once it is done.  The second time I made brown butter, I didn't think to transfer it to a new container; my butter continued to cook in the sauce pan and I almost burned it.

I didn't take any pictures of my brown butter, but here are two sites I went to when I made my brown butter for the first time.  Both sites contains detailed instructions and beautiful pictures to show you exactly what you need to do to make this delicious, aromatic brown butter for your goodies.

DSC_0196

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Curry Stir-Fried Rice

Orange Poppy Seed Cookies

Chinese Beef Congee