Lemony Apple Spread

applesauce

8-9 c. Apples, peeled, cored and cubed
3-4 Tbsp Fresh lemon juice
1 Cinnamon stick
1/4 - 1/2 c. Brown sugar
1.5 c. Water
4 strips Lemon peel

Place the apples in a large sauce pan.

Add water, 2 Tbsp lemon juice, cinnamon stick, 1/4 c. brown sugar and lemon peel.

DSC07581

Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 20 min.

Adjust the amount of lemon juice and brown sugar according to your taste.

Remove the lemon peels and cinnamon stick.  Mash the apples with a potato masher.


My comment:

My friend and I took our boys to a local apple orchard a few weekends ago and we came home with way too many MacIntosh apples for us to eat by themselves.  So I decided to make some applesauce and I found this wonderful recipe on Simply Recipe that promised a hint of citrus flavour in the applesauce.  My family loves lemony treats, so I was rather excited about this recipe.

As always, I didn't follow the recipe to the dot.  I ended up with a lemon-flavoured applesauce that was super yummy.  The first word out of my son's little mouth after taking a spoonful of applesauce was "Lemon!" and I knew I went a little overboard with the lemon.  However, because we both loved the applesauce so much, I decided to post the recipe the way I made it and simply ask you to adjust the ingredients according to your taste.

I am calling this recipe an apple spread rather than an applesauce because I found this apple spread/sauce is superb on a piece of buttered toast.  My little guy loves jam sandwich and every morning, I'd make him a little sandwich with this apple spread for breakfast (minus the butter).  Since the spread is homemade, I put on a little more spread than I normally would with jam and he can't get enough of his sandwich!!  For myself, I drop big blobs of apple spread on my toast and the taste is so refreshing for a quick morning snack.

I kept a big jar of it in the fridge that lasted about a week and I froze the rest in the freezer.  My freezer stash is quickly dwindling in numbers.  Luckily, this is so easy to do that I think I will make this again real soon!!

DSC07580

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Curry Stir-Fried Rice

Orange Poppy Seed Cookies

Vegetable Risotto