Jamaica Cake

Jamaica Cake

1/2 c. Brown sugar
2 c. Flour
2 Banana, chopped
2 Eggs
1 can (14 oz) Crushed pineapple with juice
1 tsp Vanilla extract<
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking soda
1/4 c. Vegetable oil
1/2 c. Applesauce, unsweetened
Coconut shreds, unsweetened


Preheat oven to 350°F.

Mix together sugar, vegetable oil and applesauce.

Stir in eggs, vanilla and pineapple with the juice.

Add the flour, salt and baking soda. Mix well.

Fold in the chopped bananas.

Pour the cake batter into a greased 9x9" baking dish. (I used a silicone baking pan, therefore no need to grease.)

Sprinkle the top with coconut shreds.

Bake for approximately 30-35 min until the top is brown. Do the toothpick test to see if the cake is done. If not, cover with tinfoil and bake for another 10 min. Check for doneness again.

Cool for 5 min before serving.


My comment:

My son's 2nd birthday is fast approaching and I wanted to bake him a cake. But I didn't want to do a boring banana cake because banana cakes are way over-done. My original idea was carrot cake but I hate grating, so the grated carrots sort of turned me off the idea.

Then I came across this Jamaica Cake on AllRecipes.com. The instructions couldn't be more simple and it has raving reviews. I decided to try it out and I was impressed. I have found a winner!!

I tweaked the recipe a little bit to accommodate my 14 oz can of crushed pineapple and to make it more toddler-friendly (ie. less sugary). The cake turned out very moist with an excellent combo of flavours. I like sprinkling the top of the cake with coconut shreds because the coconut complimented the fruits without overpowering. My only complaint is that it tasted a bit egg-y for me. Next time, perhaps I'll throw in a little more vanilla and a dash of cinnamon.

For my son's birthday, I can make this cake the morning of the birthday party (because it is That Easy!) and I will serve it with a bit of whipped cream. I'm sure the kids would love it and hopefully ask for seconds!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Curry Stir-Fried Rice

Orange Poppy Seed Cookies

Chinese Beef Congee