Easy Berry Cobbler

DSC_0082

3 c. Fresh berries (I used 2 c. Blueberries + 1 c. Strawberries)
3 tbsp Sugar
1/3 c. Orange juice
1/2 c. Rolled oats
Dash of cinnamon

2/3 c. All-purpose flour
1/4 tsp Baking powder
1 pinch salt
Dash of cinnamon

1/4 c. Butter, softened
1/4 c. Applesauce, unsweetened
1/2 c. Sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 375°F.

If you are using large berries, cut them into smaller size (approximately 1.5 cm big).

In an 8" square baking dish, mix together the berries, 3 tbsp of sugar and orange juice.  Add the rolled oats and cinnamon.  Set aside.

DSC_0079

In a bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.  Set aside.

In another bowl, cream the butter and 1/2 cup of sugar together until fluffy.  Beat in egg and vanilla extract.

Add the flour mixture, stirring until ingredients are just combined.  Drop batter over the berry mixture using a rounded teaspoon. Try to cover as much of filling as possible, spread the batter with the spoon if necessary.

Bake for 35 to 40 min, until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbling.

DSC_0081


My comments:

My son's birthday party is this coming weekend and I got it in my head that I absolutely must have wild blueberries for my cream cheese pie. So off I went to the local market and purchased a basket of tastey but expensive wild blueberries. I underestimated how much blueberries one of those baskets can hold; when I got home, I realized I have WAY too much. I know they won't last very long, so I need to do something with them, preferably something quick and easy.

DSC_0076

One disadvantage of shopping at a fresh produce market is that everything looks super delicious. I simply couldn't resist the big baskets of strawberries next to the baskets of blueberries. Walking further down the aisle, I bought more fruits and vegetables, more than we can possibly eat. So yes, I really need to bake.

I found this easy Blueberry Cobbler Recipe and decided to do my own version of Mixed Berry Cobbler. I took note of some reviewers' suggestions and incorporated into my little creation.  I must confess that I cheated a bit with this recipe tonight because I started it at 10:30 pm and I have to work tomorrow (thus it explains why I'm at the computer at 12:20 am, updating this blog).  So I just creamed the butter and the sugar together with a fork, then mixed in the rest of the wet ingredients quickly with the same fork.  The wet ingredients looked a bit lumpy but that can't be helped.  I also didn't quite have 1/4 cup applesauce; I made up the difference with some homemade strawberry jam.  In all laziness, my cobbler top turned out rather well.  :)

As some of the reviewers mentioned, this recipe is definitely not sweet.  I like that and I think I will keep the sugar content the way it is.  However, I taste-tested this tonight with whipped cream and that was super good.  I think it'd taste even better with a scoop of rich vanilla ice-cream.

All in all, this was a satistfactory dessert and I'd definitely make it again.  It's so easy and quick to do; it is perfect to serve at dinner parties.  :)

DSC_0075

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Poppy Seed Cookies

Thai Curry Stir-Fried Rice

Very Berry Banana Smoothie