Crunchy French Toast

crunchy french toast 1

2 slices Bread, thick slices
2 Eggs
1/3 c. Milk
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
1 c. Special K cereal
1 c. Rolled oats


Preheat the oven to 400°F.

Lightly toast the bread. Set aside and allow them to cool. Cut the bread in half.

Whisk together the eggs, milk and vanilla extract.

Soak the bread in the egg mixture for approximately 1 min on each side.

Mix together the Special K and rolled oats in a shallow dish. Carefully transfer the soaked bread to the crunchy mix and coat the bread on both sides.

crunchy french toast 1

Line the cookie sheet with a Silpat (or a silicone mat or parchment paper). Bake the French toast for 10 min, flip them and bake for another 5 min. Top and bottom of the toast should be brown.

Serve warm with butter and maple syrup.


My comments:

I am a huge fan of baked french toast. I love this recipe with the baguette because I can prepare it ahead of time and it tastes great.  Not to mention I totally suck at frying french toast on the stove top because I always manage to break them and I end up with a pile of egged flavoured bread.

I was quite excited when I came across this new baked French toast recipe on Simply Recipes. It is such a simple and yet fabulous idea that I can't believe I didn't think of it first!!  I tweaked the recipe a little bit because I didn't have cornflakes and I forgot to buy cornflakes.  I think my little experiment turned out pretty well and I'll do it this way again.  The Special K worked well and I love the fact that rolled oats give you an extra boost of fibre.

I like the idea of using the thick slices of bread (3/4") instead of the regular bread (1/2").  The thickness was perfect for French toast because the bread doesn't fall apart as easily after soaking up the egg mixture; however, the thicker the bread, the more egg mixture it requires for soaking.  I also love the way the thick French toast feels in my mouth; it gives each bite a little more substance.

For a few slices of bread, I added unsweetened coconut shreds to the cereal mix.  I don't have the exact measurements for the coconut shreds since I just sprinkled a bunch in.  But I enjoyed the subtle taste of the coconut and I think that will become a staple in this recipe.

I think the egg mixture from my old recipe tastes better, but I love the idea of coating the French toast with cereal and thus giving it that little crunch in each bite.  I'll have to experiment with amalgamating the two methods and come up with a new creation of my own.  Until then, give this Crunchy French Toast recipe a try because I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Curry Stir-Fried Rice

Orange Poppy Seed Cookies

Chinese Beef Congee