Healthy Fruits n' Yogurt

DSC_0630

1/4 - 1/2 c. Your favourite fruits (bananas, mangoes, blackberries, strawberries, etc.)
2-3 Tbsp Plain yogurt
2 Tbsp Special K cereal
Honey


Combine the fruits, yogurt and Special K cereal in a bowl. Drizzle some honey on top for taste.

Mix and serve immediately.



My comments:
I love yogurt but a small 100 g of flavoured yogurt contains 15 g of sugar. Although the sugar is supposed to be "natural", from the fruits, 15 g is equivalent to approximately 1.4 Tbsp of sugar and it tastes quite sweet. So I've decided that if I'm going to be eating that much sugar, I might as well get it straight from the source, especially summer time is the best time to stuff ourselves with fresh fruits.

I tried this without adding the honey but the plain yogurt was a bit bland for my palette. But I think drizzling a small amount of honey is still better than eating flavoured yogurt because it is definitely less sugary and I can also control the level of sweetness better this way. The honey also compliments the fruits and berries very well.

You can literally use any types of fruits you want. My son loves the banana and mango combination. Blueberries and blackberries went over well with him as well but then, we love fruits and you simply cannot substitute good tasting fresh fruits with flavoured yogurts!

I chose Special K for the "crunch" factor here but granola or your favourite nuts (eg. walnut, pecan, etc) will work just as well.

DSC_0631

I think I'll have to pick up some apples sometime this week and try an apple-cinnamon combination which will probably go something like this:

1/2 Red delicious (organic), cubed, not peeled
Sprinkle of cinnamon
Handful of chopped toasted walnuts
Honey or Maple Syrup

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Poppy Seed Cookies

Thai Curry Stir-Fried Rice

Very Berry Banana Smoothie