Dutch Babies


2 Eggs
1/2 c. Milk
1/2 c. All-purpose flour, sifted
1 pinch Ground nutmeg
1 pinch Salt
1 tbsp Butter
1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
Ground cinnamon
2 tbsp Confection sugar (optional)

Place a 9-in. glass casserole dish in the oven and preheat to 450°F.

Warm up the milk in the microwave for 20 sec.

Warm up the eggs in a bowl of hot tap water for 5 min.

Combine flour, nutmeg, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.

In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk until light. Then add the milk and vanilla extract.

Gradually whisk in the dry ingredient.

Remove the glass dish from the oven and lower the oven temperature to 350°F.

Drop the butter onto the glass dish and spread the butter around the dish with a brush (make sure the sides are buttered).

Pour the batter into the glass dish and bake at 350°F for 15 min, or until the top is puffed and golden brown. (Check the pancake after 10-12 min.)

Remove the pancake from the oven and serve with confection sugar or maple syrup.



My comments:

I found this Dutch pancake recipe from Allrecipes.com. It looked like an easy recipe and I found the "puffing" part really cool. I read some of the reviews, incorporated some of the reviewers' tips and my Dutch Baby turned out really well!

The pancake deflated quickly after leaving the hot oven. So if you want to take a cool picture of the puffed pancake, have your camera ready at hand and snap that photo as soon as it comes out!!

This is a fairly heavy pancake. I found a quarter of the pancake, served with maple syrup, fruits and a cup of coffee/tea is enough for a filling breakfast. The original recipe (and other versions of the Dutch Pancakes) uses a cast iron skillet. I don't own a cast iron skillet but I found the glass dish worked just as well. I've also reduced the amount of butter in the original recipe and I've added in the vanilla and cinnamon as a personal touch. I love the vanilla/cinnamon flavour in my pancakes, soooo Yummy!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Poppy Seed Cookies

Thai Curry Stir-Fried Rice

Very Berry Banana Smoothie