Strawberry Bread


1/2 c. Butter
1/2 c. White sugar
3 Large eggs
1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
2 c. Flour
1/2 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Baking soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1 tsp Ground cinnamon
3/4 c. Sour cream (or plain yogurt)
1 1/2 c. Fresh strawberries, chopped



Preheat oven to 350˚F. Spray the side and bottom of a 9x5x3" loaf pan.

Beat the butter until soft (~ 1 minute). Add the sugar and beat until fluffy.

Add eggs one at a time, beat well. Beat in vanilla.

(The mixture curdles a little bit at this point but it should go away after the addition of the remaining ingredients.)

In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.

Add the flour mixture and sour cream alternately, starting and ending with the flour.


Fold in the strawberries.

Pour the batter into the loaf pan and smooth out the top.


Bake for approximately 50-60 minute, until the top is golden brown and the toothpick comes out clean. If the top is golden brown but the center is not cooked, turn off the heat and leave the bread baking in the oven for an additional 5-15 minute, checking every 5 minute.



My comments:

I have never heard of a strawberry bread but believe me, this is as good as it sounds. I found this recipe from Joy of Baking and made a few minor modifications to suit my taste buds. This bread smells awesome when it was baking and it makes a wonderfully delicious and healthy breakfast. It's also a quick way of using up some of those strawberries that needs to be eaten very very quickly. This will make a great dessert when served with a lemon glaze or vanilla ice-cream.

I think next time, I'll have to try this recipe using other types of berries such as blueberries and raspberries. Other berries will be just as tasty but I will probably use sugar for the more sour berries such as raspberries. Also, I will definitely add the toasted walnuts to the bread that the original recipe asked for, but I didn't have any walnuts at home this time. Too bad because I think it'd be even more yummy with the nuts!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Curry Stir-Fried Rice

Orange Poppy Seed Cookies

Chinese Beef Congee