Cauliflower Saffron Bisque


4 c. Water
2 Vegetable bouillon cubes
1/2 tsp Saffron threads, crumbled
1 tbsp Butter
1 tbsp Olive oil
1 Vidalia onion, chopped small
1 Cauliflower, medium size
3/4 c. Light cream (5%)

Boil the water and dissolve the vegetable bouillon cubes. Remove from heat and add the saffron threads. Cover and steep for 20 min.


Melt the butter with the olive oil in a deep pan over medium heat. Sauté the chopped onion until very tender, about 10 minutes.

Cut the cauliflower head into 1/2"-3/4" pieces.

Add the cauliflower to the sautéd onion. Stir to coat.


Add saffron broth to the cauliflower and onion mixture.

Bring the soup to a simmer. Reduce heat, cover and continue to simmer until the cauliflower pieces are tender, about 20 minutes.

Purée the soup using a blender or food processor. If you have neither or in my case too lazy to use a blender, use a potato masher to reduce the chunks.


Stir in the light cream.




My comments:

This is another recipe I got from Leslie's food blog. Her photos are much better than mine and I'm sure her soup tasted better as well, so you should definitely check out her recipe.

As I mentioned in my recipe, I was too lazy to take out my blender. The masher was able to break up the larger pieces of cauliflower and onion but my cream soup had turned into a chunky bisque soup. The texture was rather strange. The flavour was nice and I liked it, but my hubby thought it was too bland. However, the flavour amplified a hundred fold overnight and it was the most delicious leftover soup EVER!!! It was so good that my hubby and I couldn't get enough of it. *grin*

I will definitely make this again. But next time, I will not be lazy and I will purée the soup properly with my blender. This will make a very impressive soup for entertaining and it is easy to do. I think I will make this the night before and let it sit overnight for the flavour to come out before serving it to guests.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Curry Stir-Fried Rice

Orange Poppy Seed Cookies

Chinese Beef Congee