Mini Chocolate Brownies


100 g Bittersweet dark chocolate
1/4 c. Butter, unsalted
1/8 c. Sugar
2 Large eggs, room temperature
2 tbsp Kahlua (or Rum)
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
1/2 tsp Salt
1/3 c. Flour
1/2 c. Coconut flakes
150 g Peanut butter chips (Hershey's Reeses PB Chipits)

Preheat oven to 350F and butter the mini-muffin pan.

Toast the coconut flakes on a non-greased frying pan until golden brown. Set aside.


In a double boiler, melt the butter and the chocolate. Whisk until smooth.


Remove the chocolate from heat and whisk in the sugar.

Whisk in 1 egg at a time.

Mix in the kahlua, vanill and salt.

Add the flour and whisk until well combined.


Fold the coconut or peanut butter chips (or both) into your batter.



Fill the muffin pans up to 1/2-2/3 full.

Bake for 20 min, until tester comes out clean.


These mini-cakes taste great the way they are or they can be warmed up and served with your favourite ice-cream.




My comments:

This is a tweeked version of Leslie's Individual Coconut Rum Chocolate Cakes. I have made this 3 times before I was satisfied with my own version of it. I love hot brownies served with ice-cream and although Leslie's recipe was very good, I found the cakes were too rich to go with ice-cream. So I turned her cakes into mini-cakes and I reduced the sugar content a little bit. Also, while I was experimenting with this recipe, I did not want to waste money buying the high quality dark chocolate. So I went to Bulk Barn for some regular bittersweet dark chocolate and it worked pretty well.

My hubby doesn't like coconut, so I've made a couple versions of the cakes with coconut and peanut butter chips. My hubby prefers the peanut butter chip version over the plain ones while I loved the coconut and peanut butter chip combo. The peanut butter chips adds just a tad more flavour to the cakes and made it just a little tastier. This inspired me to include a few walnuts or pecans in the recipe next time I bake them. *grin*

Leslie's recipe used dark rum and because I never seem to have dark rum at home, I've tried these cakes with a white rum or kahlua. I can't seem to taste the alcohol but my hubby liked both versions but he prefers the kahlua.

Final note on the failed attempts: I tried this recipe with white chocolate and kahlua. It didn't taste very good so don't bother to try this combination. Also in the same trial, I thought adding extra kahlua would make the cakes a little stronger, but all the extra alcohol did was made my cake batter more runny. So my recommendation is to stick to the recipe (mine or Leslie's) because they work!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Poppy Seed Cookies

Thai Curry Stir-Fried Rice

Very Berry Banana Smoothie