Coffee Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting


1 c. Unsalted butter (room temperature)
1.5 c. Sugar
4 Eggs (room temperature)
2-3/4 c. Flour
1-1/2 tsp Baking powder
1/8 tsp Salt
3/4 c. Strong brewed coffee
1/4c. Milk
1 tsp Coffee grounds


[Makes 24 cupcakes]

Beat butter until soft, about 30 sec.

Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 min.

Add eggs one at a time, beat each egg with mixture for 30 sec.


Mix together flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl.

Combine coffee and milk.

Add 1/4 flour mixture to the butter mixture, beat to combine.

Add 1/3 coffee mixture to the butter mixture, beat to combine.

Continue to alternate the addition of the flour and coffee mixtures, ending with flour mixture.

[Note: Be careful not to overmix, otherwise the cupcakes will not be fluffy.]

Fold in coffee grounds.

Scoop into cupcake papers to about 1/2 - 3/4 full.


Bake for 22-25 min at 350˚F until toothpick comes out clean.

Completely cool cupcakes on rack before spreading frosting.


Vanilla Buttercream frosting
1 c. Butter
6 c. Icing Sugar (sifted)
2 tsp Vanilla extract (pure)
1/4 c. Milk


Beat butter until creamy.

Add vanilla, milk and 1/3 cup of icing sugar.

Beat to combine.

Continue to add the sugar 1/3 cup at a time until desired consistency and sweetness is achieved.

Chill in fridge until ready for use.



My comments:

I've always loved coffee flavoured stuff, so I've been searching for an easy coffee flavour cake recipe for a long time. I found a Vietnamese Coffee Cupcake recipe from Cupcake Bakeshop. I halved the original recipe and made a few minor adjustments. As described in the recipe, my cupcakes turned out dense but soft. However, I found my cupcakes lack the coffee flavour. I used 3 scoops of ground coffee with 2 cups of water, so it is possible that my coffee was not strong enough. Otherwise, I thought the cupcake tasted ok. I think next time, I'll throw in a bit of coffee flavoured liquer as my hubby insisted I need (but I don't have any which is why I decided on this recipe to start).

As for the frosting, that was pretty tasty. I was hoping to reduce the sweetness by making my own frosting but unfortunately, it was not the case. The combination of vanilla frosting and cupcake worked fairly well since the cupcake was not sweet at all. But I think I will continue my search for a "less sweet" frosting recipe.

Next day update...
I stored my cupcakes in the fridge overnight because I thought they'd keep longer that way. (The last time I made cupcakes, they started to dry out on the second day.) When I ate one this morning, the cupcake actually tasted better!! The cupcake had a nice flavour (not coffee flavour, but it was still nice) and the frosting didn't taste as sweet. It was definitely a good cupcake; I think I might make this again and just eat it the next day!!

Comments

these little cupcakes look adorable. Love the star sprinkles.

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Poppy Seed Cookies

Thai Curry Stir-Fried Rice

Very Berry Banana Smoothie