Zucchini Cilantro Dip


2 Zucchini, medium size, grated
1 c. Plain yogurt (fat-free)
3/4 c. Sour cream (fat-free)
1 tbsp Cream cheese (light)
2 tbsp Olive oil
1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
1/4 c. Fresh cilantro, chopped
2 Garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp Ground cumin
1/2 tsp Salt
Cayenne pepper
Chilli powder
Parmesan cheese


Grate the zucchini into a colander and sprinkle with salt. Let zucchini drain for 30 min. Rinse well and drain again for another 15 min. Squeeze as much water as possible from zucchini using a towel.


In a medium size bowl, whisk together the yogurt, sour cream, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Add the cream cheese and parmesan cheese. Mix well.

Add in zucchini, cilantro, garlic, cumin powder, cayenne pepper and chilli powder.



Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Refridgerate for 2 hours to blend the flavour.

Serve with pita bread.


My comments:

This was a simple and healthy vegetable dip, esp for someone who doesn't own a food processor, someone like me! I found the dip to be a bit bland and I think it will taste a lot better with a flavoured cracker, such as Triscuits or Ritz. However, my hubby, who doesn't normally like his veggies, really liked this dip with just plain old pita bread; it thought it was rather tasty! So if I can get him to eat vegetables, I guess this was a successful recipe afterall. :)

When I made the Curry Chicken Rice Salad, I bought a large bag of cumin and I honestly have no idea what to do with that much cumin. My friend suggested I make my own ground cumin because it's easy and it tastes a lot better than store bought stuff. So I toasted the cumin in my little toaster oven for a few minutes (about 3-4 min. depending on your oven). Alternatively, you can toast the cumin on a dry frying pan. When you toast it, be careful not to overdo it, otherwise the cumin will burn. The cumin should be brownish in colour but not black. If it's burnt, throw it out because the burnt smell is very strong once the cumin is grounded. After toasting, ground the cumin into powder.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Okay, I think I might have to throw a poker night or have a party just so I can try out this zucchini dip! I *love* cilantro!

Great site you've got here!

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Poppy Seed Cookies

Thai Curry Stir-Fried Rice

Very Berry Banana Smoothie