Asparagus, Mushroom and Onion Quiche


1 Pie shell (homemade or frozen)
3 tbsp Olive oil
1 Red onion, large
2-3 Mushrooms, sliced
5-10 Asparagus, cut into 1" pieces
1 tsp Balsamic vinegar
1/2 c. Light cream
1/4 c. Milk
3 Eggs
4 tbsp Romano or Parmasean (or 1 1/2 c. of your favourite cheese, grated)
Salt and Pepper
Pinch of nutmeg


If your pie shell is frozen, bake the shell according to the box instructions. Let the shell cool before adding the filling.

Slice the onions into thin strips (also refered to as French-cut).

Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil on a frying pan on medium heat. Add the onions and add a little salt. Cook for about 10 minutes; the onions should be soft and transparent. Reduce the heat to low and cook for another 30 min. Stir occasionally.

When the onions are brown, add balsamic vinegar and cook for 10 more minutes. The onions should be completely caramelized. Remove from heat.


Soften the mushrooms and asparagus in 1 tbsp of olive oil. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and cream. Add a little bit of nutmeg, salt and pepper.

Place the shell on a baking sheet to catch any potential egg messes.

Sprinkle 1/2 of the cheese to the bottom of the shell. Then, fill the pie with the vegetables and sprinkle the top with the rest of the cheese.

Poor the egg mixture onto the pie.


Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the quiche for 30-35 min until the center just sets.

Cool on rack for about 10-15 minutes before serving.



My comments:

While surfing through Simply Recipe, I came across the Caramelized Onion Quiche recipe which looked very simple and delicious. So I gave this recipe a whorl and it turned out better than I had expected, even though I had to make a few unexpected adjustments.

I was very impressed with the cooking time given in the recipe. The eggs were not overcooked, it was perfect! The caramelized onion was also very very tastey, although I was a bit skeptical about the balsamic vinegar at first.

Before starting this recipe, I had every intention of following the recipe. Unfortunately, I underestimated the amount of sliced onions 2 large red onions (from original recipe) can produce, so I heated up the oil in a small frying pan. When I realized there's not enough room for all the onion and was too lazy to dig out a larger pan, I decided 1 onion should be more than enough. Little did I know that the size of the onions reduce by 75% after they are caramelized. So that created a problem of not having enough fillings. Luckily, I had extra veggies at home and so I cut up some of those to make up for my onion mistake.

Also, I chose to use grated Romano cheese because I actually didn't see the Gruyere cheese in the recipe when I went grocery shopping. I figured cheese is cheese, so I made the substitution and it tasted pretty good. I think having real grated cheese would still taste better, so next time, I'm definitely going to use the real stuff.

Finally, I improvised a bit on the milk and cream. I wasn't thinking when I cracked the eggs (because I was super hungry by that point). I should've started with 2 and if I need more, crack the 3rd. But I cracked all 3 eggs before I realized I was going to have too much egg mixture. So I reduced the amount of milk and cream by 1/4 c. In the end, I had just the right amount of egg mixture and everything tasted great. (Had I been thinking straight, I probably wouldn't just prepared the egg mixture as instructed in the recipe and use the extra for scrambled eggs.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange Poppy Seed Cookies

Thai Curry Stir-Fried Rice

Very Berry Banana Smoothie