Choconut Spiders


5 c. Semi-sweet chocolate chips
4 c. Chow mein noodles (approx. 200)
1 c. Unsweeten coconut flakes
3 c. Rice Krispies
Mini M&Ms


Spider Legs:

Melt 3 cups of chocolate chips using a double-boiler (1 cup at a time).

Stir in 6-8 chow mein noodles, gently coat with chocolate and place the noodles on wax paper. Repeat until all the noodles are coated.

Place the spider legs in the freezer to solidify the chocolate.

Arrange the spider legs on waxed paper in sets of 4 before preparing for the bodies.

Spider Bodies:

Melt 1 cup of chocolate chips.

Stir in ½ of the coconut and ½ of the Rice Krispies.

Drop teaspoonful of chocolate mixture on the center of the 4 legs. Add 2 mini M&Ms for the eyes.

Repeat with the remaining ingredients.

Place the spiders in freezer to solidify the chocolate.

[Make 4 dozen cookies]


My comments:

I found this recipe online and all the reviews said it was easy to do. Well, it wasn't as easy as I had expected. The legs were actually a lot of work. My biggest problem was melting the chocolate chips. Sometimes it turned very dry after it was melted, so I had to add milk to moisten it up again. I've never melted semi-sweet chocolate before so I don't know if that's a possible cause of the problem; I've always worked with regular milk chocolate chips and milk chocolate melted beautifully for me. After the chocolate had set, the legs also felt kind of sticky, almost like the chocolate hasn't completely solidified. Perhaps that's the result of adding milk to the chocolate??

Although the legs were kind of hard to work with, the spiders turned out very well. I'm glad I used semi-sweet chocolate and unsweeten coconut. Otherwise, the spiders would've been too sweet. This is a great recipe if you love chocolate b/c these are very chocolatey spiders. :)

The mini M&Ms made very adorable eyes, however, I do have 1 word of advice: Do not touch the eyes until the spiders have been frozen and the chocolate is set. The M&Ms melt very quickly once it's been placed on the spiders. If you touch it when it's melted on the inside, you'll crush the eyes. I'm speaking for experience. :P

If you are not a huge chocolate fan, I think a peanut butter alternative would be very nice. Using the Peanut Butter Krispy treat recipe, the legs can be coated with the peanut butter / maple syrup mixture and use rice krispies and marshmallow for the bodies. I think that would be really yummy!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Curry Stir-Fried Rice

Orange Poppy Seed Cookies

Vegetable Risotto